Even though the decision was made to place your child(ren) in alternative care, you still have rights and responsibilities to them.

You are responsible for:

  • Financially supporting your child(ren), which may include child support payments
  • Maintaining contact with your child

You have the right to:

  • Be consulted on all decisions involving your child, including major medical services, entrance into
    the military, etc., but the juvenile court has the final approval for all decisions made on behalf of
    your child (emergency medical conditions may require immediate action prior to contact with you,
    but you will notified of any medical concerns regarding your child)
  • Be represented by an attorney (if you cannot afford one, you may request that the court appoint
    one for you)
  • Request a hearing be held in juvenile court (even though most court hearings are initiated by the
    juvenile officer)
  • Information and records about your child
  • Determine the religious practice of your child
  • Receive proper legal notice in court actions involving your child and to attend
  • Review the records and information that we have on your family (NOTE: Your Children’s Services
    Worker can tell you how to arrange this review, and the Children’s Division and juvenile officer must
    allow certain records to be available to all parties within 10 days of the protective custody hearing
    or 14 days of a petition to motion/modify)
  • Be informed of services available to you under the Indian Child Welfare Act (ICWA) of 1978 (NOTE: If
    you believe you are of Native American heritage and are entitled to those provisions, notify your
    Children’s Services Worker so they can apply any ICWA requirements when providing services)
  • Referral for services based upon need

Your child has rights while in alternative care. These include the right

  • Adequate and appropriate food, clothing and housing
  • Protection and safety
  • Medical diagnosis and treatment
  • Education
  • Emotional security
  • A permanent home
  • Be placed in the same setting as any siblings whenever possible if the sibling(s) is also being placed
    outside the home
  • Maintain contact with any siblings if not placed together
  • Visits with their parent(s)
  • Participate in their case planning (when appropriate)

Your child also has responsibilities while in alternative care, including:

  • Participating with the assigned worker and care provider in developing rules and guidelines to follow
  • Attending school according to the provisions of the law
  • Participating in the development of the visitation plan and behaving responsibly during visits
  • Taking part in developing a permanency plan and committing to that plan
  • Participating in permanency planning reviews
  • Keeping scheduled appointments and following any prescribed treatment
  • Acting responsibly and appropriately while participating in school, religious, cultural and
    neighborhood activities
  • Openly discussing current problems with the worker